Hi Hope you are well.
Lately I have been meeting a lot of people wanting to retire early. A senior banker came in the other day to explore alternate career options. I have clients who sold off software businesses to become stand up comedians and top executives of finch companies leaving their full time jobs to pursue film production!
Its become more acceptable to talk about retirement and its really really exciting.
If doing what you want to do, whenever you want to do is retirement, then well I am retired. I am 39 years old and chose ‘retirement’ 2 years back.
I’ve been on both sides of the table and I think I know quite well what I miss and what I love about this part of in my life. I’ll give you a little perspective.
What I miss about a corporate job :
- The salary credit SMS - that is a dopamine shot worth the effort
- The bonus and promotion that show that you are valued
- The liberal health insurance cover you get without paying premium
- Colleagues who become friends and then an extended family
- An appreciative nod from the boss
- The chai breaks, the lunch time gossip
- The social acceptance that a regular job gives….
- More than anything else.. you know what I miss the most
- I think my kids used to take me more seriously earlier and weren’t pushing me around as much
- And I was never ever asked to do the jaadu pocha when the maid took off
On the other side, what I love the most as someone who ‘retired’ when young, healthy, fit and happening..
- I can catch up on a book or a movie on Netflix at 11 am on a Wednesday. This makes many people very jealous
- I eat a proper breakfast
- I can choose to stay in during bad weather
- I find time for the gym
- I develop random friendships with people very unsimilar to me, like the maid and the retired army officer uncle next door
- I don’t have to apply for leave when I have to travel
- I can earn whatever I want and not what someone will give me
- I can bug the kid when he comes back from school. I semi home school him now
- And nobody questions me when I want to do crazy things at work - like shoot this video
So, if you are bugged of your full time job, or if you want to be able to do the small meaningful things or even pursue big dreams that matter most, and if the only thing that is stopping you from taking flight is the ‘money’ part - then you should talk to me.